As an Australian resident and professional, this was obviously a highly expected publication. But as a citizen of the world, any of you guys out there should also grant it a bit of your interest and time, since Australia is now the #1 digital nation in the world!
It’s not me saying it, it’s Google for instance, in their “Mobile Planet” interactive report: Australia is well ahead of most advanced economies in terms of smartphones penetration for instance.
And that’s what the AMPLI report 2012 confirms, with a higher figure of 76% smartphone ownership among the population surveyed. Considering that, it’s fair to say it’s good “lab” data for our all market researchers around the globe.
The Australian Interactive Media Association (or AIMIA) has faithfully prepared and published this survey for 8 years in a row now, bringing a remarkable contribution to our industry. Here are some facts I’d like to highlight here to feed your geeky appetite:
- 76% smartphone penetration (p16) => That puts Australia #1 now, before the US and UK!
- 40% of Apple devices, then 18% Samsung (p18)
- 42% shop online on mobile (p27)
- 50/50 use of apps and mobile web (p33)
- 85% of people use less than 10 apps a week (p57)
- Top apps are Map/Navigation, games, news, social, photo/video (p59)
- 50% of smartphone users also have or are considering a tablet (p71)
- Apple has 77% market share for tablets (p73), but Samsung and Acer ramping up
- Greater use of mobile websites on tablets (as opposed to apps) (p79)
And obviously there are plenty of other very interesting data! Plus guess what … IT’S FREE FOR ALL! So just get it now 🙂